Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Gustave Dore's engraving of The Raising of Lazarus


"Sometimes Love Waits"

A profound truth is tucked away in this mornings CBR from John 11: 5-6, "Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So when he heard Lazarus was ill, HE STAYED TWO DAYS LONGER in the place where he was." Sometimes I'm of the opinion that if God really loved me he would respond to my "real needs" immediately. Martha, Mary and Lazarus had real needs: a healing that would avert death! We have "real needs" too. maybe they're not of the life threatening kind but they are real and needful for our spiritual, emotional, psychological and physical well-being. And yet, sometimes God delays.

Why?

1) The way God meets and addresses our "real needs" in his timing and in his way brings him more glory. And, on my better days, regardless of how painful the wait is, I'm pleased that God receives more glory in it.

2) My faith is strengthened by God's delayed approach. While the healing of a sick man builds faith the raising of a dead one builds even more! So, God is about resurrecting things in my life and in so doing growing my faith. Jesus wants us to know without a doubt that it was his gracious hand that met us in our point of need.

3) God's timing advances his mission and kingdom as the unbelieving world observes. It states in John 11:45 after the miracle, "Many of the Jews therefore, who had come with Mary and had seen what he did believed in him."

I'm not sure what you're facing today, but I know the "real needs" that I have today. I'm comforted by this passage because I'm reminded that although I haven't seen all those needs met yet I know that Jesus loves me and at the appropriate time will show up in my life in God-glorifying, faith-building and kingdom-extending ways! And I, will be filled with joy inexpressible.

Lord, enable me to believe this today. Forgive me when I doubt your love for me and your greater purposes for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment